Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Netherlands to Belgium bike ride, day 4-5


Part 3 of the series. Part 1 Part 2

Robb riding through the Belgian countryside.

Saturday morning we awoke to a bright, shining sun—a wonderful sight, though after the previous day I had to wonder how long it would last. The air was still cold, made worse by the fact that the dampness still had not left. But at least we wouldn’t have to endure too much - today was the day to complete our trip, 40 miles to Brussels.




Our ride began smoothly, our legs fresh from yesterday’s rest. While Belgium does not have the separated bike routes of the Netherlands, we were happy to ride on real black-top and had no difficulties with any drivers. Heck, it felt better than being up in the Netherlands. A slightly amusing irony, given that Hanne had told me her frustrations in getting anything comparable to their northern neighbor built due to Belgium’s endless bureaucratic wrangling.

Cars get knobbly roads, we get blacktop. This seems right.

Marmite is as appropriate for Belgium as it is for the Netherlands. Photo by Robb.

Taking a break with the ponies. Photo by Robb.

Mid-way through the ride, however, a problem did rear its head: Robb’s left ankle began to feel more and more painful. We initially just slowed our pace to try and keep it from getting aggravated, but the problem kept on getting worse. Finally, I suggested Robb try wrapping his ankle in an Ace bandage to provide some lateral support, which seemed to do the trick.

We ultimately arrived at Brussels at 4 in the afternoon. After making our way to the hostel to deposit our luggage, we went to explore the city and celebrate our accomplishment. The center of Brussels is a confused winding of streets, with many tall buildings imposing over us. Though what particularly struck me was how international everything was—on one street you would find several shops whose signs were primarily in Chinese, and a few blocks down would be the Somali area. The benefits of being the European capital, I suppose. We filled ourselves with Chinese food (how long I have missed you) and further beer, and subsequently headed back to our hostel, too tired to stay awake until midnight when the clubs would begin hopping.

Brussels! Photo by Robb.

Many, many things were named after Leopold II. The guy who presided over this?

Brussels, ever more.

The Chinese area of downtown Brussels.

We're done! Beer time!

We woke up around 9 on Sunday, both of us ready to head home and conclude our journey. The sky was sputtering down cold rain again, either as if to encourage us to leave or just to serve as a final reminder of Friday. But no matter. We packed and rode down to the train station, ready to take the high-speed train home. The prospect of this gave me a deep, nerdy joy; be it the many hours I spent playing Railroad Tycoon II in high school or just being a transit geek, I had always wanted to take a real high-speed train but had never had the opportunity before. And now, the TGV!

TGV! Image from Wikipedia

Okay, so this was the extent of my prior experience with the TGV. Whatever, it's still awesome. Game is Railroad Tycoon 2, image from here.

And no, no TGV. After waiting for an hour to get our ticket, the receptionist curtly told us that we would not be allowed to take our bikes on the TGV without having them be packaged up first. Turned out that neither of us had thought to double-check whether the TGV trains would simply let us bring our bicycles on, and unlike almost any other train I had seen in Europe, the answer was no. Well fine—how about some alternate trains through Germany? No, we’d have to bag them up as well for those, too. Well, is there any route we could take? Yes, a series of commuter trains that would take us to Basel. But the one route for the day was full up on all of four bikes. We could try our luck on Monday. This was untenable: I had a lab presentation to prepare for, and Robb had a class to teach that morning.

Well…fuck.

We left the ticket counter to try and figure out what to do next. Robb wanted to just get a ticket for the trains to Basel, and just play ignorant about it being full on bikes. But this was not something I was particularly keen on—he spent about $200 on his bike, I spent a good four times that on mine. If my bike got kicked off anywhere, I’d want to follow.

Well, could we take a plane? There was an EasyJet flight that night that would drop us back in Basel at midnight, a train to Zurich after that, and, most crucially, a kiosk at the Brussels airport that would package our bikes for us. But were they open? After several minutes of ineffective fumbling around on my phone, I found their number, called them, and found they were! They closed at 6:30, which gave us plenty of time to make it over to the airport.

Was there space on the flight? Again, yes! Two slightly pricey seats available, but that was fine. We just needed to get home, and there was no sense in rejecting this good fortune. The extra cost could simply be chalked up to the “check whether you can bring your bike on the train, you twit” tax. Tickets were purchased and we went back to the hostel to wait out the last few hours away from the chilly train station we were currently sitting in.

4 o’clock rolled around, signaling the time to saunter our way up to the airport. We emerged from the warm hostel only to find that not only was there cold rain, but Brussels was seeing us out with a stiff wind as well. Fine, I thought, let’s just get the hell out of here - ten minutes later we were at the train station (different from the first) to make it out to the airport.

We entered shivering, and in our ability to make intelligent decisions turned out to be rapidly diminishing. This was a BAD thing. First, we accidentally ended up purchasing bus tickets to the airport instead of train tickets (couldn’t bring our bikes), a waste of several Euros each. Second, we had an inordinate amount of difficulty getting the train ticket kiosks to work properly. But worst, right as we were about to board, an announcement played on the station’s PA system about our train. Speaking with a nearby local we were told to go to a different platform than what was listed on the board. This may have been a correct instruction and we simply boarded at the wrong time, or perhaps something was lost in translation, but the end result was that we boarded the wrong train, a fact that slowly dawned on me as I saw the city fading away but no airport in sight and the train showing no sign of slowing down.

Instead of making it to the airport we arrived in Leuven, some 30 miles East of Brussels. Worse, this being a Sunday, there were few trains that would take us back to the airport and the next one would be cutting it dangerously close for reaching the bicycle-packaging kiosk in time. Robb immediately took off to look for a taxi. Leaving the station, we saw a small semicircle of taxis available and, even better, one of them was a van. Good, this would work.

We approached the van’s driver and asked if we could get a ride. The driver hemmed and hawed, saying that he really didn’t know if he’d be able to fit our bikes and generally not being enthusiastic about the whole deal. As Robb argued with him, I quickly dropped my bags on the ground, grabbed my wrench, and pulled off my two wheels. I subsequently opened the back of the van and stuffed my bike inside, excitedly exclaiming “See? See? It fits! We can make it to the airport, let’s go!” The driver gave me a dirty look, but finally acquiesced. Forty minutes and another eighty Euros later, we finally arrived at the airport, still with enough time to make it to the baggage kiosk.

The kiosk itself was a disappointing looking affair, just two guys sitting in a small shed with a machine that would rotate a stand and cover something in saran wrap. I somehow had gotten the impression that they would have been a large established store with all sorts of strong, sturdy bicycle boxes available. That’s certainly what I expected for the price they were charging. Still, they would wrap the bikes and EasyJet would then subsequently accept the bikes as checked luggage. Good enough.

We walked up to the shop and asked to get our bikes wrapped up, and were told to disassemble our rides. Any help? Well, they had an Allen wrench somewhere, but I ended up having to take out my tool-bag and we had to disassemble the bikes ourselves. Robb was seething at this indignity, and was tempted to go up to the shop owners and demand a partial refund if we wouldn’t get any help in taking apart our bikes. I argued against it, just wanting for the day to be over and not in any mood to deal with any more fuss. I was fine with taking apart the bikes. What I would be less fine with, later, is the fact that plastic wrap offers little protection against your usual airplane luggage handling routines.

This is not an effective way to protect your bike. Photo by Robb.

But that ordeal was finally over and we could go slump in two seats at the gate. After a few hours of waiting, we finally boarded the plane back to Basel, painfully exhausted but glad that, no matter what else would happen that night, we’d at least be in the right country.

So excited that we finally get to go home, Robb is given the strength to carry all our luggage (minus bikes).

We landed, picked our bikes, and somehow managed to jam ourselves into the bus back to the train station (a tight fit with the bikes). Waiting for the train to arrive to take us back home the two of us violently hacked off the saran wrap, desperately trying to do as much as we could before we had to board. We managed to remove all the plastic and put the wheels and handlebars in approximately the right place before we boarded, enough to make sure nothing big was missing.

That left the train ride home to make the bicycles actually rideable. This, however, was almost too much. I was cold, I was damp, I was tired, I had spent the past 12 hours dealing with one frustration after another, I was on a train that would rock every several seconds, throwing me off my footing. I was angry and the world and at Robb and at myself. And I was confronted with this:

WTF is this nonsense? Photo taken later, at a more rational time.

This is a Woods-Dunlop valve, and how I was supposed to get air into my bicycle’s tires. I had heard of them before, but despite 3 years of bicycle co-op work I had never seen one in person. There is a time and a place for novelty. This was not it.

I did what else I could with my bike and Robb’s. This was not easy, as “rational” and “methodical” were not in my toolbox at the moment. I swore and I whacked the bike. I nearly lost my footing several times as the train clacked on the rails. I reached a point of near-uselessness where I had to simply sit down in a seat and browse the internet on my phone for ten minutes just to calm down slightly. In the end, I was able to reassemble everything in the correct spot, reposition the brakes, and straighten out the wheels after the beatings they took being loaded into the plane’s cargo hold--or at least enough that the bikes could limp home. But this left my tires, again.

There are a few websites that tell you how to inflate a Woods-Dunlop valve; My phone let me access them. They are not incorrect. But, there is a sin of omission on these sites. Woods-Dunlop valves look very similar to Presta valves, which require you to unscrew a tip in order to be able to inflate the tube. If you unscrew a Woods-Dunlop, all the air can escape. Meanwhile, with a Schrader valve (auto tire) you need to press the center pin in order to inflate, which a pump will do for you. For a Woods-Dunlop, what I thought needed to be depressed would only move if you unscrewed the valve, letting air out.

To properly inflate this type of valve, you simply apply a lot of pressure to the end and the air makes its way in. Nothing gets unscrewed. This was not explicitly spelled out in any of the sites I looked at. The valve is a marvel of engineering and simplicity, but this was completely lost on me. All I knew is that something had to be done and I wasn’t have any luck. The train reached Zurich and we debarked, my tires half-inflated after a process of just dumb futzing around with the valve until something seemed to work, somewhat. It was enough to limp home on, so Robb and I said our goodbyes and I slowly cranked the two miles back home. 2 AM I stumbled in through my front door, finished.

The trip left me with a few parting gifts. The most prominent among them was a cold that slowly developed over the next couple of days only to leave me a wheezing, snot filled mess come Thursday. I had always thought the “keep warm or you’ll catch cold” was a bit of a wives tale, but in this case it seemed to be sage advice. The freezing rain of the Low Countries would be in my heart—well, more accurately, my sinuses—for the next few weeks.

The other gift was the realization that saran wrap is a rather ineffectual way to prepare a bicycle for the rigors of airline travel. After my quick repairs on the train ride down, I had to do a much more extensive round of fixes to get the bike back in rideable shape.

No bike stand? Just get some bungee cords and set things up in your own lab!

The plastic chain casing was no match for a good thwack during plane loading. This is a Solitons and Vinyl Tape approved repair procedure.

Even with all of this done, there still were a few persistent issues that could not be fixed without a visit to a bicycle shop. My bicycle emitted a terrible squeak as I rode even after my ministrations, a problem that required a bicycle shop visit to fix, though something I would have been able to do myself, given the proper tools. Oh how I miss having a proper bicycle co-op at my disposal.

I’m glad I tried the trip, though had I foresight into the amount of headache involved I probably would have passed for the ride to happen at a more amenable time. I’m certainly game to try more bike tours, though I’m going to have a much higher standard of planning for future routes. And I certainly want to see more of Ghent and Belgium. By bike even.

Photo by Robb.

In the late springtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment